Did she just say she is pregnant? That must have been quite a shock!
A lot of people think an unplanned pregnancy is just a woman’s issue, but we know it impacts you too. Many women say they wished their partners would have talked with them about the situation and shared in the final decision.
Your Next Steps
We’re pretty sure you are wondering what to do next. At Carolina Pregnancy Center, we are here for you too. We want you to be prepared for whatever decision you both make. Here are a few suggestions you might want to consider:
- Confirm the pregnancy with a free and confidential pregnancy test and ultrasound at Carolina Pregnancy Center. You will both know the date of conception and the viability of the pregnancy.
- Work together. Talk with one of our client advocates about all of your options.
- Take some time to ask questions. This is a serious life-altering decision. No one should have to make the decision alone. Ask each other questions like, “Do you believe in abortion?” “Can we consider an adoption plan?” “What about parenting?”
What Not To Do
This is a stressful and frankly, emotional time. She needs your support. Here are a couple of things we recommend you don’t do:
- Do not pressure her to make the decision only you want. You have to discuss the situation and agree on your final option.
- Do not make your decision based on what others say. It is good to hear the advice of your friends and family, but ultimately, you are the one who will have to live with the consequences.
- Do not walk away. Of course it would be easy to think, “This isn’t my problem,” but your are 50% of the equation. Take responsibility.
Finding out your partner is unexpectedly pregnant is scary. We understand and we want you to know you have a place where you can talk it through. We’re available. There are men who would be happy to chat with you, find out about your current situation, and give you some advice. Call us and set up an appointment.